September 11, 2012

What it means to be "greek"...


Today is bid day for the greek women of The University of Southern Mississippi.  I can't believe it has been four years since I frantically ran to the Kappa Delta house after signing my bid card.  I can't imagine spending my college days in any other color but green and white.

There are so many stereotypes that come along with pledging a fraternity or sorority.  People don't understand why you choose to "pay for your friends" or assume you're just in it for the parties.  I am here to tell you that becoming a member of greek life, especially KD, was the best decision I have made thus far in my 22 years of life.


I was not prepared for the feelings I've had since becoming an alumni of Kappa Delta.  I thought that I was burnt out and ready to graduate and move on.  I couldn't have been more wrong.  Although I made countless friendships that will last a lifetime, I miss the camaraderie that comes with sharing that unbreakable bond while being on a college campus.  I miss going to the house on a Saturday night and curling up with a blanket, a movie and my sisters.  Four years just wasn't long enough.

To the women who will be running to your new home today after signing your bid card, cherish every moment. Stay up late, go out, stay in, laugh, joke and be stupid.  These will be the best years of your life with the best people you will ever know.  Your memories will last forever, but this time is fleeting.  Don't miss out on a second of it.

Lastly, to the ladies of the Beta Sigma chapter of Kappa Delta, especially PC 08.  I love you all more than words can describe.  Thank you for giving me the best memories and best friends that anyone could possibly dream of having.  Y'all are truly the definition of striving for that which is honorable, beautiful and highest.  Kappa Delta is not for four years.  It's for a lifetime.  Love in AOT.

Bid Day August 2008
Bid Day September 2011

"Fraternities and Sororities symbolize all that we wish to accomplish in our lives. They represent the struggles we all face as we grow. Why we cling to them no one can explain, but in the end, we are all stronger for it."



Also, today is the 11th anniversary of the attack on the World Trade Center.  Let us never forget what so many have sacrificed for us on and since the horrible day.  God bless the victims, their families, our troops and America.  We thank you.

xoxo-Chelsea Eli 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...