July 11, 2012

Dream A Little Dream


Oh, Nike. You're always so inspirational.

This quote, that I came across today, really spoke to me.  I've always been the ultimate dreamer, and they've never been small.  As a child, I dreamed of being a recording artist (still a dream), Miss America (still kind of a dream), an Olympic gymnast, a fashion designer, a princess, an actress, a member of the U.S. women's soccer team and the list goes on and on.  I used to love to talk on and on to my parents about these dreams.  Thank God they are the kind of parents that made sure I knew that I could be anything and do anything I wanted to as long as I worked hard.



I was raised on one rule and one other little "saying" that I still say over and over to myself every single day of my life.  My hometown newspaper, The Rankin Ledger, even wrote an article about my mother and the one rule recently.  Check it out here.  The rule was "always do what's right."  Pretty much sums it all up doesn't it?  The saying was "Townsend's never quit."  What great principles to instill in a child.

As I sit here today, my list of goals and dreams have changed pretty drastically, but the essence of them have not.  I know that if I work hard, persevere, never quit and always do what is right, I can achieve these things I have laid out before me.  I can't, however, sit back and expect them to happen without me giving it everything I have.  Life just doesn't work that way, and I'm guilty of falling into this trap sometimes.



I want to encourage y'all to set goals for yourself in order to achieve your dreams and go after them whole heartedly.  Make sure they are SMART goals though.  This means that the are specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely.  You can do anything you set your mind to, and don't let anyone tell you differently.  Get some gumption and some motivation, and get after it!



In the spirit of goal setting, dreaming and a new chapter of my life, I've set a few goals for myself.  I think it's always good to make your goals public so those closest to you can help encourage and support you.  So here they are:

1.  Create a new, healthy lifestyle by eating clean.
2.  Complete P90X (currently in week 2)
3.  Compete and win the Texaco Country Showdown preliminary competition on September 2nd.
4.  Run for Graduate homecoming maid at USM.
5.  Compete in a Miss Mississippi preliminary competition.
6.  Make a 4.0 my first semester in graduate school.

What are some of your dreams, and how to you stay motivated towards achieving them?

xoxo-Chelsea Eli

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...