February 11, 2013

Massive Tornado Rips through Hattiesburg, MS

Image:  Patrick Lowery

"Southern Mississippi to the top, to the top
So lift your voices high, show them the reason why 
That Southern spirit will never stop
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
Southern Mississippi, all the way
Banners high
And we will fight, fight, fight to victory
Hear our battle cry"

Image:  Southern Miss Image Center

Last night, my beloved university and the city of Hattiesburg was devastated by a massive tornado.  I've never felt God's protection more than I have last night.  I happened to be on campus when it hit, and I experienced one of the most terrifying and helpless moments of my life as I watched the tornado rip through campus from a mere 50 yards away.  I was finishing my workout just at the sirens started going off.  Had the sirens gone of just a minute later, I would have been caught driving in the tornado right where it ripped through.  I am so blessed.

Image:  Southern Miss Image Center

This morning, there has been an incredible outpour of love and support from across the state.  It's so very humbling.  So far, there have been no deaths reported and 71 injuries.  Only two of these are critical.  Please keep us all in your thoughts and prayers.  We are bent, but not broken.  Golden Eagles don't stay down for long.  We soar.  If anyone would like to help out with relief efforts, please comment below, and I will get you information as soon as it comes in.  Right now, they're just asking that everyone stay put because of all the downed power lines, gas leaks and road closures across the city.

A video of the tornado tearing through town.


In the mean time,  we will all


Thank you all for the prayers and support.  Keep it coming!

xoxo-Chelsea Eli

2 comments:

  1. Hey, lady! I found your lovely blog on Southern Blog Society (I'm a member for Virginia for now until I move down to, ironically, Hattiesburg area with my guy). DJ actually went to college there and grew up nearby in Shivers, and I have been praying my little heart out for y'all. I hope everything gets back to normal real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the prayers! They're much needed and appreciated! You'll love Hattiesburg, though! It's a great community where people truly care about their neighbors and welcome new comers with open arms! It's also close too the Gulf Coast, New Orleans, Mobile, and Jackson. It's the perfect "hub city." Thanks for stopping by!

    xoxo-Chelsea Eli

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...